4.9.1 Directory and Confidential Information
last revised: May-2015
All information received by the College becomes a part of the student's education record except for information specifically exempted under FERPA. Student education records are classified as follows:
- Directory Information: Directory Information includes a student’s name, address, telephone listing, electronic mail address, photograph, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, grade level, participation in officially recognized activities, degrees, honors, and awards received, the most recent educational agency or institution attended, student ID number, user ID, or other unique personal identifier used to communicate in electronic systems that cannot be used to access education records without a PIN, password, etc. (A student’s SSN, in whole or in part, cannot be used for this purpose.)
Directory information may be released by the College to any person or organization without the student's consent. If a student does not want directory information released, a form must be filed with Student Records.
- Confidential Information: All information other than directory information is considered to be Confidential Information.
Examples of confidential items include:
- Class schedule, daily attendance, academic record, grade reports, progress reports, high school and college transcripts, and test results
- Correspondence, including letters of recommendation and comments from counselors and faculty
- Application information for financial aid and veterans’ educational benefits