1.19 College Mission and Purpose
last revised: Oct-2018
Statement of Purpose
The primary purpose of Richland Community College is to improve the quality of life in Central Illinois by actively serving the educational needs of the people, organizations, and institutions it serves. The college pledges to provide equal access to education and training for all citizens regardless of race, age, sex, religion, national origin, ethnic background or disability.
The mission of Richland Community College is to empower individuals through learning and to forge partnerships that grow communities.
Richland Community College achieves its mission and purpose by offering the following programs:
- The first two years of a baccalaureate education;
- Technical courses, certificates, and degrees designed to provide job training, re-training, and upgrading of skills;
- Basic educational skills designed to prepare students to engage in college level study;
- Student development programs and services designed to help students identify educational and career goals, set realistic career paths, and develop skills necessary to achieve intellectual and personal growth;
- Academic programs and services, which provide supplemental support to both teaching and learning;
- Community education activities and programs which complement, enhance, and contribute to the growth and enrichment of students and the community both inside and outside of the classroom providing opportunities for life-long learning; and
- Workforce development activities and programs that promote linkages with business, industry, and governmental agencies designed to meet the changing needs of the market place and promote economic growth in the region.